29 October, 2021
COVID RECOVERY - THE WAY HEAD FOR A BETTER FUTURE.
The government did an excellent job in the early stages of the Covid 19 Pandemic when no one really knew what was happening and where it would go. Moving fast with the lock down and the provision of support such as the Wage subsidy provided the immediate means to allow time for the long term situation to become clearer, and a plan for the future developed. Unfortunately they are failing to provide certainty and a way ahead. We have no time to waste as it is generally recognised that the next year is going to be extremely difficult with rising unemployment, increasing debt and bigger social issues.
SIX GREAT COVID FAILS OF THE GOVERNMENT
1. Not ordering the vaccine early enough.
2. Not involving G.P's from the beginning as primary vaccinators. They know their communities and many of the problems we now have in ramping up the roll out stem from this.
3. The shambles of MIQ. There is no excuse for this. See "Isolation facilities - the cruise ship solution" We could have had over 25,000 people (50,000 with 2 ships) through this by now with 14 days residence and could double that with fully vaccinated people having a test 7 days prior to departure, 1 day before departure, 7 nights cruise ship isolation, and 5 days home isolation. It is totally possible to organise a regular flow of 3 cohorts of 200 per week with complete packages of flights from major international cities and isolation.
4. Not introducing quick answer 'spit', and rapid antigen testing.
5. Not providing an alternative to Pfizer, provding the alternative has the same efficacy.
6. Not building up the hospital capacity including ICU units
COVID RECOVERY - TOP SIX THINGS TO DO IMMEDIATELY.
1. Recognise that the new normal will be very different to the 'old' normal!
2. Make sure that vaccinations are available in all parts of the country immediately. More campervans with vaccinating facilities are the answer in remote regions on specific days with participants organised by local G.P's and marae.
3. Strengthen the border around infected areas (Auckland and allow more freedom within it. Step 3 of the current system allowing retail to open under strict health conditions should be functional now. Vaccinations would be mandatory for inter island travel and a fast test (answers within 20 minutes) should be mandatory at airports for inter island flights and ferry terminals. Check in would only need to be an extra 30 minutes prior to travel. No negative test - no travel! We need to slow the spread to other parts of the country as much as possible.
4. Auckland and Waikato to move to Traffic light red as soon as 90% of the population have had their first dose and a reservation for their 2nd dose and no later than 01 December. We will be so close to the target that the difference will be minimal.
5. Returning passengers from low risk countries should have a test 8 days prior to boarding a flight, another test, 2 days prior and a fast answer test at the airport prior to boarding and not allowed to board until proof that all are negative. Self isolation at home is risky so make available apartment hotel blocks where people can be completely isolated and self cater for 7 days on arrival with spot health checks. Costs would be vastly lower and the system much safer than going home. This system would free up MIQ beds hugely and allow more travel for those travelling for business and social reasons. Self isolating people with covid at home is hugely dangerous unless they are the sole occupant of the house/apartment.
6. Make it very plain to those in MIQ facilities that if they do abscond they will be made famous within 1 hour with photographs and names on all media to assist in tracking anyone they meet
It has been obvious for years that so much of the vaunted GDP 'growth' was based on creating greed and a desire for things that we did not need based on a very unstable foundation of debt. The day of reckoning has arrived!. We have exploited the planet, damaged our relationships, and created our social dysfunction.
We need to do a radical reset of society and it will be painful.
We need to rediscover and implement the great values of Responsibility (for ourselves and others), respect (for ourselves and others), resilience, and quality relationships.
There are four basic needs that every human has: food, clothing, shelter, and peace of mind. It is the responsibility of government to ensure that every person has access to the first 3 at least. It is also the responsibilty of each individual and family to be self sustaining if possible.The fourth comes into the spiritual dimension.
"If every man and every woman chose their partner carefully, committed to each other for life, and brought up children in that nurturing, caring, and positive role model environment at least 70% of our social problems would be fixed and the cost of running government will reduce by at least $10 billion a year! We need to re-establish the primacy of the traditional family of father (male), mother (female), and children, designed by God and built into our DNA at creation.
We need to rediscover the creators culture that provides us with all the guidance we need for healthy, happy, harmonious, flourishing societies.