Local Body elections will be held this year by postal ballot. Votes must be received by midday 08 October, 2022 to be counted. Voting papers will be sent out starting 16 September. This is the opportunity for we, the people, to choose our leaders for the next 3 years. Please take the issues seriously and choose wisely. Do the candidates have the capacity to fulfill their promises? What is the track record of the incumbents?
Big issues for this year
1. Public transport plus road quality and walking, cycling options. Stop the light rail nonsense and find better alternatives. Read More
2. Port of Auckland. To move or not to move? Read More
3. Housing affordability
4. Homelessness. Read More
5. Climate change
6. Business revitalisation - especially in the inner city
7. Massive wasteful spending
8. Water quality at our beaches
9. Waste minimisation and disposal
10. MAKING AUCKLAND THE MOST LIVEABLE, ENJOYABLE, FUNCTIONAL AND EXCITING CITY IN NEW ZEALAND.
EMAIL SENT TO MAYOR GOFF AND ALL COUNCILLORS 29 APRIL, 2020
What is the most important thing in life - it is the people. What is the most important part of our city - it is the people. The environment we live in comes a close second.
Please take care of the people!
1. Please do not increase rates at a time when many people are struggling. It is totally unnecessary. We can have a vastly better city with wiser rather than bigger spending.
2. Please introduce managed community gardens where those struggling can put in 4 hours of 'sweat equity' and receive a credit equivalent to four hours at minimum wage to be taken in fresh food. This should be enough for a family of 4 for one week and will provide people with the dignity of earning their food rather than receiving a hand out from a food bank and take some pressure off the food banks. THIS IS URGENT. Whanau te Mana Whakaora provides a much better model for encouraging people to self sufficiency than putting struggling people into motels - albeit that is better than leaving them on the streets as has been past practice.
3. Please introduce Supermaxx or explain to me why not. Supermaxx will lower the cost of travel to commuters to $70 for 30 days unlimited travel between Albany and Papakura AND save over $100 million per year in operating subsidies.It will provide a vastly better interconnected service to the commuting public than AT provide. See attached schedules which would provide a much better and cheaper service in lockdown. Supermaxx will massively reduce congestion and pollution.
4. Please declare that all public transport buses coming into the central city must be electric powered by 2025. (It is easily possible under the Supermaxx network) and that no private fossil fuelled vehicles will be allowed in the inner city after 2027. Also install more electic car charging points in Council owned parking buildings.
It is hypocritical to declare that you care for the people and then
A. Increase their rates and other regulatory costs.
B. Don't provide the opportunity for people to help themselves be as self sufficient as possible. C. Refuse to provide the best possible public transport at the lowest possible cost
D. Declare a climate emergency and not take all possible steps urgently to reduce pollution.
E. Blindly continue the obsession with old fashioned forms of public transport such as light rail.
We are in an age of austerity with a huge opportunity to move outside the visionless, archaic, and very expensive thinking of the past and examine new ways of doing things and implementing them when shown to be better.
Auckland Transport Consultancy
The big issues for Auckland Council to deal with.
PUBLIC TRANSPORT: Supermaxx equals better service and lower costs.
** Save over $100 million per year in operating subsidies
** Increase frequency to services every 10 minutes 7am - 7pm on 22 primary routes, 5 minutes at peak times, 20 minutes off peak, and hourly during the night.
** Redesign the network so that people can esily commute around the city and to the airport instead of just into and out of the inner city.
** Reduce fares to a basic unlimited travel Pass of $70 for 30 days with shorter and regional passes available
** Reduce pollution and congestion in the inner city drastically
Supermaxx was first presented to the various Auckland Councils, including the Auckland Regional Council, Auckland Regional Transport Authority, and Central Government politicians in 2007..
It can be rolled out across the city within 6 months using the current equipment and at a total cost of implementation of $1 million. It will save $2 million a week in operating subsidies from the time it is fully implemented. Successive Councils and Auckland Transport have refused to implement Supermaxx, or prove it wrong, andf have cost ratepayers/taxpayers over $1 billion in excess subsidies and commuters a similar amount in excess fares.
It is utterly hypocritical to declare a 'Climate Emergency' and refuse to make the basic changes that would make a real difference to our carbon emissions. The refined Supermaxx network actually provides 20% more capacity with 350 less buses reducing carbon emissions by 31,500 tons per annum. In addition to that would be the massive reduction in emissions and congestion as commuters move from cars to public transport with much better schedules and network, and hugely reduced fares.
Battery charging facilities should be expanded in all council owned car parks. Fossil fuel private cars, buses, and light vans should be banned from the inner city within 7 years.
CONGESTION AND POLLUTION
Implementing the Supermaxx network will reduce congestion in the inner city with fewer buses operating more frequently on a highly refined network.. It will greatly encourage people to move from car to public transport further reducing congestion and pollution.
HOMELESS IN THE CITY
It is absolutely reprehensible that Phil Goff and his Council have been willing to let people rot on the streets of Auckland, especially during the winters. There are solutions they have refused to implement even as they have spent .millions on 'studies'.